I’ve only got five minutes today to spare for my exercise routine, what do I do?
Have no fear. If you have a set of dumbbells, or even if you don’t , there are some highly efficient floor exercises that you can do in your bedroom and still fit a quick whole body exercise routine into your day.
Here are five examples of strengthening and quick aerobic exercises to do. If you add intentional walking and stretching to your day, the combination actually creates a fairly good exercise routine.
1. Burpee’s: these are one of the most effective floor exercises. To do them, start in a low squat position with your hands on the floor then , kick your feet back like a horse, perform one push-up, quickly bring your feet back to the squat position and leap as high as possible into the air with your hands above you. Repeat this five times.
2. Lying on your back with 5 to 10 pound dumbbells in your hand, do combination crunches as well as supine bicycle kicks while doing fly or single arm push-ups with the dumbbells. This works multiple muscles of your arms chest and abs.
3. Lunges: these are a great exercise to strengthen your hips and legs. Simply step with one leg forward and slowly lower your lower body until your other knee is close to or touching the floor. Repeat with the other leg. Then repeat in a variety of different angles.
4. To strengthen your extensors, lay on your stomach and extend your back arms and legs up off the floor. Alternate in a variety of ways including simultaneous right arm and left leg or both arms together doing a swimming type motion.
5. To add some brief cardio to your work out, pick up your dumbbells and while stepping to the right do a large counter clockwise circle to the left. Then step to the left while doing a large clockwise circle with a dumbbell in your hand. Then stop and do a slight bouncing motion with your knees while simultaneously mimicking rapid boxing movement with the dumbbells in your hands.
Do these five for five minutes each day and I guarantee you’ll feel stronger and more flexible!